May 7, 2010

Introduction (updated 2020)

Dear fellow knife nut,

Welcome on my knives and photography weblog. Let me first start by introducing myself.

I've had a fascination for knives since I was about 7 years old like lots of boys at that age. It all started back in 1974 when I was given my first black SAK by my Father as a present. Over the past decades I have bought, traded, sold, lost and worn out many knives. 

For me the 1980's was all about Al Mar (SERE 3002), Buck (110), Gerber (Bolt Action), Kershaw (1050), Puma (Game Warden & Back Packer), Smith & Wesson (6061 Maverick), and lots of others. The 1990's was the time of Böker Solingen and the new upcoming brand FOX knives from Maniago, Italy. It was also easier to cary knives in public since there were no law restrictions. It was pretty normal and generally excepted that people carried knives what nowadays is almost unthinkable.

The ones that started it all

Back in 1982 I bought my first, at the time, 'high end knife'. It was a Puma 465 Back-Packer. Initially I wanted a 970 Game-Warden but I could not bring myself to save up more money. It cost me a fortune as a 15 year old kid, but I had to have it no matter what. The 970 was purchased a decade later. In the fall of the same year I sold the Puma 465 to buy my new grail at the time, a Smith & Wesson 6061 Maverick. In 2015 I found a 'like new' Puma 465 in original box with papers and bought it to bring the memory back alive.




Collecting

Twice I have tried to build myself a small production knife collection, but also gave up twice. Only a few knives remain from these past attempts. Those are special for their memories and their quality. In 2009 I once more started to collect knives on a modest scale. My focus went from production knives to mainly Striders and steady on towards primarily custom knives. With the high quality standard, CNC technology, new features and wide range of production knives nowadays I slowly shifted back to this category in 2019. Besides a modest collection of some customs, vintage & new production knives, users and safe queens, I can not afford to keep everything as shown here on my weblog. The rotation and experience on different quality and artistic levels is also part of the passion. I feel fortunate to have owned some of the finest knives.


I have some vintage knives in my collection.



Why SERE ?

I choose the name SERE back in 2009 when I became a member on a Knife Forum for the very first time. I had only a few knives left from the eighties and nineties and at this moment of registration I had my Al Mar #3002 SERE Attack by my sideThe name SERE wasn't in use at this forum, so that is when and why I picked this name. I first layed eyes on this particular knife back in 1985 when I was given my first Knives Ann. Edition. It took me years before I had my own.




I had this one for years. It's a later version, early 1990's.





Internet

Another aspect of knives to me are knife related forums. I know most of them and have visited them frequently in the past. Now a days only three of them are left that mean something to me. The one for me on my side of the pond is Messenplatform.nl and further BladeForums and the Usual Suspect Network in the past. On these Forums I have met some of the finest people. You can also find me on Flickr.com with knives and other stuff. I don't do posting on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter etc.

Besides my real knives I also like to shoot knife pictures for use on knife forums as well as building my own digital Photo Collection and also show most of them on this Weblog. Enjoy reading & watching my photos.

One of my Favorites

Over the last decade I have owned dozens of custom folding knives. Of course many were outstanding in many ways. But in the end the majority got moved around again. Small details, size wise, fit & finish, grinding, used materials, you name it and there was a reason why a knife left my collection again. My custom folder by Dutch Knifemaker Dirk de Wit is an exception. It is one of my favorite knives over the last few years. The Micarta is pré WW2, the blade Böhler M390 on teflon washers. Besides this one my Vintage knives are special to me.




User Knives

Of course I also use some of my knives. A mix of Custom & Production knives. Doing everyday stuf, using them on a day hike, in and around the house. Doing small fixing jobs or maybe even in the garden. Besides several SAK's I have a modest selection and the majority of knives are alike in size. My ideal blade length is 3.50 - 4.0 inch. The Spyderco Military Ti and Strider SMF have been with me since 2010. My Strider GB came in 2011. The fixed blades by Benchmade and Denis Budak since 2013. My custom by Dirk de Wit joined the group in 2018. The Benchmade Crooked River and Zero Tolerance 0308 were new additions for 2020.



Photos

My work is non-commercial. In the past I did a few photos commissioned by a befriended knife maker. I have found that I have more pleasure taking pictures when I do it exclusively for myself. This gives me the freedom to portray the knives as I see them and like. So I don't sell my work in any way. It's a hobby and I prefer to keep it that fashion. It is allowed to download images for your entertainment only. The use of my photos/images is limited by a Creative Commons license.

Reviews

My photos are not ment as knife reviews in any way. Why not? The pictures should tell what the knives are about. Both the positive and negative sides in the eyes of the viewer. Personal experience is part of the journey and that means that everyone has to create his own selection and taste. My purpose on showing knives on my blog is to share my enthousiasme for knives and photography as a user/collector. Every knife shown on my weblog (except Jerry Brouwer knives and this one) is, or has been, in my personal collection. They all have my appreciation one way or the other.

Interests

My Dog, Photography, Photo editing, Logo Design, Day Hiking, Nature in common, Collecting misc.